Saturday, August 29, 2009

Its a Goal

A few months back I met a career counsellor in Delhi, one Dr. Acharya. I basically consulted him in order to gain some perspective about where I was heading career-wise and what corrective action was required.

This gentleman enquired everything about my profile (education, jobs etc) and even asked me some questions on behavioural tendencies. When it was my turn to speak he patiently heard me out as I narrated how dissatisfied I was with work and how I was like a ship without direction. The discussion went on for over an hour. In the end, he told me one thing, rather the only thing that was missing in the entire sequence of events – The lack of Goals and a Vision. According to him, all other issues were secondary and just needed an attitudinal change, but the primary issue was that I did not have any short-term and long-term career goal in mind.

I must admit that I left the meeting quite disappointed, cuz I was seeking a solution to my problems, not a lecture on goal setting.

Today that has changed. I’ve started to believe in what he said. Because for the first time, I have a goal in mind. I have a Vision. Its true that this time it has come to my mind on its own.

Dr Acharya, I have penned down my short-term and long-term goals as directed by you and be rest assured that I will go all out to achieve them.

3 comments:

  1. Super cool ....made me remember the meeting with him

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya..he was located in one corner of gurgaon..

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best buddy! Goal setting is something I haven'tlearned till date.... Maybe I need to meet Dr Acharya too :-(

    ReplyDelete