Friday, August 28, 2009

Aspirational madness

I have come across many people in my life...all from different walks, from diverse backgraounds...people who make an impact on you by their simple ways of life...i came across most of them in the different organisations that I had worked for...and established a good rapport with them and eventually a bond...
On my day to day interactions with these colleagues, I figured out how simplistic their nature was and how they were absolutely "content" with what they were doing. I hardly ever heard them crib about their lives...or fret about what they have, what they dont have, what they wish to have, hardly ever seen them "tensed" about anything...material aspirations did not matter to these guys...they just lived their life by the day, in "acceptance" of everything...their jobs, marriage, lifestyle etc...
I asked one of them, what do you do on weekends? n he said, .."kuch nahi...thoda tv dekhne ka, thoda biwi ko dekhne ka...aur sone ka". other than that, the occasional hindi movie in a theatre and dining out with family/friends".

I compared their lifestyle to mine...not only was the difference evident but reality sunk in - I was a cribster, always fretting about something or the other, totally dissatisfied with my work...hugely aspirational...be it earning money, or spending money...always wanting to have the "good things in life"...always wanting to "enjoy" with friends & have a good time.. making me realise that I am a victim of what i call "aspirational madness".

I've started believing that Aspiration and Dissatisfaction are inversely proportional and Im trying to answer these questions - Is my desire for "more" and "better" turning me into an insane person? Am I just being foolish by being aspirational? Should I just "let it be" in order to be content?

2 comments:

  1. The desire for more and better need not turn you insane if it drives you in th right direction. The people who are content with what they have are also the type of people who are not necessarily very successful in their jobs....maybe being laid back has its downsides. Also, ask their wives if they are happy that all hubby does is sleep on weekends :-)

    Each man to his own I would say. If you dream bigger, you will aim higher and perhaps struggle more to reach higher too. Just dont let the failure to do so 'soon' or in a jiffy become the cause of your troubles. I hope you got what I meant.

    And anyways, glad to know that after you've quit your job your 'thought' process is at work again :-P

    ReplyDelete